Although Nakheel has offered to pay trade creditors 40 percent in cash with the remainder in a tradable sukuk yielding 10%, several of Dubai World's trade creditors have taken their claims to the Dubai World Tribunal set up at the DIFC. Nakheel needs 95% agreement in order to issue the sukuk to pay the deferred portion of the amounts owed to trade creditors. One of Nakheel's trade creditors, Construction Delivery Group filed suit with the tribunal claiming it is owed Dh 50 million (13.6 million) for a construction management contract.
- Mushtak Parker provides a good assessment of an IMF report that found that Islamic banks fared better during the financial crisis.
- A study from Deloitte found that 79% of executives believe Islamic finance is growing. 66% believe the industry is under-regulated.
- Indonesia may issue a global bond or sukuk for $650 million in the first quarter of 2011. Jordan formed a committee to study the changes needed to be able to issue sukuk and a statement from a government official stated that the government is "serious about using Islamic sukuk to provide funds for carrying out vital and top priority projects.
- Citigroup, which co-managed the Kuveyt Turk sukuk says it is in talks for more corporate sukuk issuance in Turkey. AmIslamic Bank in Malaysia issued RM550 million in 7-year sukuk.
- The governor of the Kuwaiti central bank says that with five Islamic banks, the market for Islamic banking is saturated.
- RAM Islamic projects that the sukuk market in Malaysia will continue to grow.
- Qatar First Investment Bank and Gulfmena Alternative Investments are launching an Islamic asset management firm. Allfunds Bank launched an Islamic Services Unit to provide a B2B fund platform of Shari'ah-compliant funds.
- Luxembourg will host the 8th Annual Summit of the Islamic Financial Services Board (IFSB), the first time it has taken place in the EU. Luxembourg is the only EU member country that is a member of the IFSB.
- Zawya and the Ethica Institute of Islamic Finance announced a partnership for Islamic Banking certification and training.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan and Senegal see Islamic banking as a way to bring underbanked people into the financial system. Bloomberg updated its list of planned and expected sukuk.
- The Central Bank of Bahrain's 6-month sukuk al-ijara was heavily oversubscribed with BD62 million (US$164 million) in subscriptions received for the regular BD10 million issue.