- Moody's Investor Services and Mashreq Capital DIFC believe that the Nakheel trade creditor sukuk will spur secondary market activity in sukuk because many trade creditors will sell them.
- Dana gas and Aldar's convertible sukuk performed well in the first two months of the third quarter, with their yield falling from 13.6% to 10.77% (for Dana Gas). The GCC sukuk market has been slow since the financial crisis and the AAOIFI resolution on sukuk.
- Padiberas Nasional Bhd issued sukuk as part of a RM750 million ($240 million) sukuk program. While issuance has rebounded in Malaysia, it has remained sluggish in the GCC following the Dubai debt crisis last fall.
- The National Bank of Ethiopia is close to approving a directive to allow Islamic banks and Islamic windows at conventional banks. Stanbic Bank in Tanzania, which launched Islamic financial products earlier this year, submitted an application to the country's central bank to widen its product offering.
- An article on an Islamic finance conference in Switzerland provides a good summary of the challenges facing Islamic finance if it wants to become more attractive and attract non-Muslim clients.
- An article from Trade Arabia discusses one small part of the Islamic financial industry that is Islamic exchange traded funds (ETFs)>
- Sudan delayed its planned $300 million sukuk issuance again citing the financial crisis.