Some of the proceeds from the recent Dubai sukuk, which raised $1.93 billion, will be used to pay the maturing $1 billion sukuk from the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority, which matured today. The UAE said that the timing of the issue of a $10 billion bond planned by Dubai that may be used to redeem the Nakheel sukuk maturing next month will "depend on the needs at the time" according to the Minister of Economy. In a contrary development, ratings agency Moody's Investor Service downgraded five government related entities (GREs) because the government after the Dubai finance department relinquished its obligations to cover the entities' debts. Although the GREs are not part of the government and do not have a government guarantee, they are closely tied to the government and any defaults would likely have repercussions on the Emirate's perceived creditworthiness.
- Amlak and Tamweel, the two large Dubai-based Islamic mortgage firms will be merged beginning in January with their investors owning one-third of the resulting bank.
- Gulf Finance House is planning on converting into a commercial bank from an investment bank and will issue $100 million in a convertible Islamic instrument. GFH issued Macquarie Bank with a $100 million convertible murabaha earlier this year.
- The ISDA-IIFM template for Shari'ah-compliant derivatives will be released either this year or early next year.
- The IFC listed its $100 million sukuk on the Bahrain Stock Exchange and NASDAQ Dubai.
- The U.S. is selling the building in which its embassy has resided in London to Qatari Diar, which recently began the process of issuing sukuk to fund its European acquisitions. Al Salam Europe, the European unit of the Bahraini firm is also planning on expanding its investments in Europe with real estate and private equity investments planned by January.
- Islamic finance could continue its rapid growth and see total assets of $4 trillion in 8-10 years according to the CEO of Doha Bank in a speech recently.