The second North American sukuk is expected to come from of Canadian company, Bear Mountain Resorts, by October. The sukuk will fund part of a resort community near Victoria, British Columbia and is expected to be about $380 million. The sukuk is being launched with the assistance of Siraj Capital whose CEO Ibrahim Mardam-Bey worked on the East Cameron sukuk which is now in bankruptcy while he was at Lebanese firm BSEC.
A new fund being offered by Dubai Islamic Bank provides investors with capital-protected returns based on a long-short strategy tracking the Rogers International Commodity Index Enhanced ex-Lean Hog, a commodity index. The structure of the transaction is not specified but seems like it is similar to a controversial product that used a total-return swap on an index and is likely to restart arguments about the products' desirability from a Shari'ah perspective that were raised by Sheikh Yusuf DeLorenzo.
Despite the many sovereign sukuk being issued by GCC governments, the corporate sukuk issuance market may remain largely frozen until 2010 according to Arab Banking Corporation managing director Naveed Khan. The delay between new sovereign issues and new corporate issues is expected to be caused by the higher pricing of the sovereign sukuk compared to where they were before the credit crisis.
- HBG Holdings will invest in companies listed on London's Alternative Investment Market (AIM) through a Cayman Islands-domiciled Shari'ah-compliant private equity fund. HBG Holdings' shareholders are primarily institutional and private investors from the Gulf region.
- One of the sukuk funds launched recently, Emirates Investment Services' Emirates Sukuk Fund No. 1, announced it had gained 8.5% in the first 3 months since inception.
- Investors in Saad Group's Golden Belt 1 Sukuk are forming a committee to represent them, according to Reuters.
- Malaysia is 'well positioned' to help Islamic finance in Europe according to Malaysia's ambassador to Brussels, Hussein Hanif.
- An article about Abu Dhabi National Energy (Taqa) includes the note that the planned sukuk from Ras al Khaimah may offer a coupon between 8% and 8.5%.
- In the Islamic finance industry, aggregate size numbers are always rather suspect because there is no centralized methodology on how it is calculated, but according to one article, the industry now has more than $1 trillion in assets.
- Despite attempts by the Japanese government to attract Islamic finance, it is having difficulties gaining steam and the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) sukuk that has been planned for a while may be further delayed.
- Australian investment bank Macquarie is in Malaysia and may be considering issuing a sukuk.
- Islamic finance may provide benefits to Muslim and non-Muslim homeowners in Scotland, according to an article.