Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Faith and finance

While reading a few articles at the Financial Times, I came across an article titled "Faith and Finance: What is it all for?". The article describes the frequent move between asceticism and profligacy in the financial system in London and speaks about the condemnation frequently issued by religious leaders for excessive focus on wealth, particularly in the financial markets. I was disappointed that its only reference to Islam and finance was "Islam has a more complex attitude to capitalism still", but it provides a chance for me to ask the question: "What do you believe the relationship between faith and finance should be."

Although the blog focuses on Islamic finance, comments need not focus on Islam only. I have focused on the "what" of Islamic finance, not the "why" primarily because I consider myself more qualified to discuss the former than the latter.

No comments: